Saturday 21 December 2013

Gaming Holiday

Whoop! Its the Christmas holidays and that certainly means that I have a lot more time on my hands to do a lot more gaming :D.

Except I will be away from my beloved League of Legends for a whole week whilst I am visiting family and I'm sorry if I come across as all teenagery, but that sucks.

Nevermind, there will be other things to play. LoL season 4 doesn't start until January anyway; I am itching to get back stuck into soloqueue though.

So currently on my playlist is Lego: Marvel Superheroes on PS4. This is an old favourite and I'm sure you all know the format. Just that this time it is enormous! You have the whole of central New York to run around and I'm starting to think that it might actually be bigger than Fallout 3.

Contrary to my regular posts, I don't really have a problem with this game, and no philosophical issue to mull over. It's just good fun.

Flying can be a bit tricky, and sometimes it isn't 100% clear what you have to do to advance but for a quick pick-up-and-play it's definitely recommended.

This game was featured in Jon Snow's infamous interview with Charlie Brooker on the PS4.

(I'm sure you've seen this, but you could watch it again!)

In my previous post about Brooker's programme 'How Video Games Changed the World' I argued that video games didn't need this kind of history/beginner's guide documentary because there were plenty people out there who already knew that stuff and we are ready for a programme which will go beyond that and treat video games as more than just a novelty for kids and nerds.

A friend suggested that my argument was null and void because Jon Snow's hapless attempts at even understanding the cut scenes (let alone playing the game) illustrated how un-mainstream they were.

So during this holiday, I will carry out my own experiment and see how my Mum and Dad respond to Lego: Marvel Superheroes. Is everyone of that generation so far removed from video games that they genuinely seem frightened of them?

Or was Snow just trolling Brooker, and us?

Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment